Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Our last day in Japan

It's just after midnight, and I've just finished the last full day of our visit to Japan. What a day it was, and I still have to pack! So please forgive the brevity of this post - but you'll see us in just a day.

We had a long bus ride this morning to the soba noodle center, but in what was the icing on the cake for this trip, we got to witness today's solar eclipse. The maximum coverage was at 10:56 AM here, and what a sight it was. In this part of Japan, the sun was 92% occluded, looking something like the sliver of the new moon. We lucked out in that it was an overcast day, so that we could actually view the eclipse with the aid of the Mylar candy wrappers that were all over the bus. WAY COOL! There were some great pictures, and I'll try to post some when I get back to Colorado. Thanks to Sanvino for thoughtfully arranging a near-total solar eclipse during our visit!!

After stopping to watch the eclipse, we continued our journey to the noodle school, where we learned how to make soba (buckwheat) noodles - and then we at them. Yummmy!! Then it was off to Mt. Aso, an active volanco. Very cool, and stinky! Vendors were selling chunks of pure, yellow sulfur - we wanted to buy some, but were afraid they'd be confiscated since sulfur can be a bomb-making material. Still, there was plenty of shopping at the volcano, just like at any tourist attraction in the U.S.

Then it was a long trip back to Arao. We arrived 1.5 hours later than scheduled and had to rush immediately into the farewell party since the mayor of Arao was already there. Nonetheless, we acquitted ourselves honorably and had a great time. Many speeches and gifts and hand shakes and bows, some tears, lots of hugs and smiles, and a wonderful send-off. Oscar and I sat with the Mayor and the other officials, and we had a wonderful conversation with the Mayor about democracy and ways in which our two countries pursue our versions it. I had a fascinating time, and all the Arao officials were gracious and seemed genuinely glad and proud to have hosted us for the week.

Time for me to pack, but I just want to say this for the record. As many of you know, I have visited a great many countries in my life and in all those travels I can honestly say that the Japanese people are the most gracious, kind, and warm-hearted people I've met. The Sanvino parents were generous beyond belief, and I leave here feeling that I've made friends for life. Thank you to Hiro and Tara for making this trip possible and to everyone who made our stay in Japan a wonderful, memorable experience. I want to thank all the parents and siblings who came along - Peter, Ann, Greg, Terri, Bill, Pat, Paul, Felisa, Carol, Sharon, Joey, Dahlia, Reed, Dylan, Emiko, and JoJo (in no particular order) - you added laughter and friendship and were wonderful travel companions. Thanks, too, to all of the parents and siblings and our two teammates who didn't come - Lauren and Cindy; we missed you and thank you for sending us on our way with love and friendship. But above all, I want to thank Oscar and the young woman of the Trebol U15 team who came on this trip - Chase, Kyle, Belle, Amelia, Ivy, Brynna, Whitney, Cassie, Dani, Caity, Katie, Midori, Kayla, Haley, Natalie, alumna Shanlie, and my daughter Claire who have allowed me to be Coach Joe and be part of one of the most memorable trips of my life. It was an honor to be in Japan with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment