Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More from Felisa

Somehow I lost a night. It's hard to recall today's events; I have to comment on the missed day before I forget. From what I have seen, the photos and emails of bowling (which I did not attend) and the barbeque were thorough. Let me just say, however, that the noodle run made us look eerily akin to pigs at the trough.

Sunday was FANTASTIC. Sure, it was hot (thankfully, we had cloud cover much of the time). And, yes, the sand was itchy. Nothing new here. But the joy on the faces of all the kids and the absolutely fanciful, almost fantastical nature of playing volleyball in such beautiful surroundings practically wiped out any irritation, of unknown origin, that brought the girls running out of the water almost as soon as they got in. Ah, but I get ahead of myself. That was after the games had concluded.

Before we even started, Oscar told the girls to have fun. He emphasized that games were their reward for all the hard work they had put in to get to Japan. It was not a competitive tournament. Second, they took it to heart. Third, they looked GREAT! Having seen them practice sand soccer back home, I almost didn't recognize them. They moved the ball fast, passed well, and smiled almost the whole time. Our host families provided a ton of water, juice, soda, and bento boxes for lunch. The shave ice was a particular hit. Bathing in a barrel was an added bonus.

In the afternoon, we moved on to Kumamoto Castle. Michael's pictures speak volumes. The pictures, however, fail to capture two of the most important aspects of the two hours. I hope that you will forgive my impertinence, Michael, but where, pray tell, is the sweat? Lest you forget, we spent two hours in a sauna. Indoors, outdoors, upstairs, downstairs, Castle, Palace. Everywhere was sweat. People were fighting each other for a breeze; they were praying the next building would be air conditioned; they were stepping around no entrance signs to intake one cool breath from the only air conditioner they could find. And it wasn't only the gaijin. I saw Japanese doing it, too.

But the most amusing and, unless I am mistaken, also unphotograped event was unfolding as Oscar and I exited the palace. We saw some of our group sitting inside a small building. And who's hanging out? Pete, among other. I thought there must have been some English language presentation. I wanted to head over to hear what was keeping Pete entranced for so long. What, I wondered was going on in that building? Have you guesed yet? The attraction was the air conditioning. Good air conditioning. Cold air conditioning.

The doors were made of two fabric panels. Outside it was 98 degrees with 98% humiditiy. But this building had the best air conditioning I've yet felt anywhere in Japan. Unless you count the cars. The building must hold a masterpiece, I thought. Something that required temperature and humidity control. Well, it did if you think Pete's in that category (I know he does) Alas, in this case, the main attraction was the vending machines. Yes, you got it, this was the refreshment area. If it had afforded us showers and a change of clothes it might have come closer to fulfilling it's name.

The place, I mean the Palace, was amazing, though.

Finally, you guessed it, the families cooked us dinner for the umpteenth time. The beach had taken it out of everyone. Some had slept on the bus back. Others, Oscar included, were almost too tired to eat. The girls, you ask? Still playing around and keeping it light. The food? It was oyshii (delicious). And no nuts. We were all happy (ureshii).

More tomorrow on today. Oyasuminasai or good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment