Friday, July 17, 2009

Guest posts on Day 2

If Day 2 (our first full day in Japan) was any indication of how great an experience this will be, then we're in store for a fabulous week here in Arao. Highlights of the day included a school trip for the kids, a visit to a Buddhist temple for the adults, a courtesy visit to the mayor and channel TKU, the local TV station that's sponsoring the sand soccer tournament, for the team, a sword making demonstration for the adults, octopus balls for the team courtesy of a spur-of-the-moment stop by Coach Yamada, and the great welcoming party. Unfortunately, I'm wiped, and so I asked several of the girls to write short entries about their experiences; none of the adults visited the school, so their reports will give you a taste of the kids' morning. I promise, though, that during tomorrow afternoon's break that I'll write a more complete report for the day and post a ton of pictures (and even a video or two). Now, for our blog items from today's guest bloggers:

Chase and Belle

Today was a great experience to see the Japanese school culture. We learned katakana characters. We also experienced our first Japanese school lunch food, which was quite an experience! We visited each class and met new friends. The school we visited also arranged a welcome ceremony that included a phenomenal band, two talented boys that were playing very cool Japanese guitars, and Judo black belt fighters. They put a lot of work into the performances and it definitely showed! All the students and teachers were very welcoming and kind to us all. One of our favorite classes had to be Englis; It was a bit easier for us! In the end we have experienced a wonderful culture and had a great time!

Ivy
Even though it-s been only a day, my trip is already filled with memories and unforgettable funny things. Today, I spoke more Japanese in my entire life. Shocker. I ate octopus and little gooey rice balls. I tried a new weird shower and I ran into a sliding door. There’s a lot more but hey, I’m not here to blog. You’ll just have to talk to me when I get home.

Cassi
I really liked going to the Japanese school. I learned a lot about their culture and even some of their music. It was a lot of fun, and it just goes to show you can have fun even if all you can do is wave. Lunch was also an interesting experience. Don’t eat the white weird looking grapes. Bad. Overall it’s fun. I’m glad to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment